Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Monster Signs Elsewhere

Gustavsson signs with Toronto.

This doesn't come as a surprise to me. The Leafs only had one goalie before he signed, and he was injured at season's end. Toronto offered the best chance of getting regular starts this season.

Here, on the other hand, Nabby is the unquestionable number one and work horse of the team. Gustavsson wouldn't have gotten nearly as many starts, and while I think I read that he wanted to work with an experience goaltender, the lure of ice time is undoubtedly strong. I don't blame the kid in the slightest for signing where he feels is best.

Burke was also giving him the hard sell, and I can't imagine it doesn't weigh into your decision somewhat, (either positively or negatively), when a GM is that active in trying to get you to sign with his team.

I'm going to totally ignore the lure of a town like Toronto, with its ravenous fan base and seemingly unquenchable thirst for all things Leafs related, because I have no idea if that was at all part of his decision.

1: 35pm UPDATE:
WTC update on the reasons Gustavsson signed with the Leafs and why DW didn't do anything wrong (that last part is for all you nay sayers out there)

No comments: