Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Gray's Take, or The Equitable Fan's Guide to July 1st

This just in: Players moved around the league today as the sky fell, earth shook and the world ended in San Jose.

Or not.

I'm really amused by the reaction to Campbell leaving. Yes, I know, we gave up a lot, but until he left this whole summer has been “Please don't over pay for Brain Campbell. Please don't over pay for Brain Campbell. Please don't over pay for Brain Campbell.” Now it's “WHY DIDN'T WE RESIGN CAMPBELL?!”

He quite clearly wanted way too much money for way too long and had other, private reasons for not wanting to be here. I applaud DW for letting him go. There's no need for the Sharks to have a player that doesn't want to be here and may under preform because of it.

While you can't please all the people all the time, you can never please Sharks fans. I would hate to be in Doug Wilson's fashionable leather shoes right now.

Do I think DW should have been more outwardly aggressive in his persuit of good D-men? Yes. Do I have any idea how actively he was pursuing available players? No, so I won't entertain any of the more fantastical notions regarding what DW did or didn't do.

No one seemed to want Redden until we didn't get him. I find that interesting.

Rolston would have been nice, but I didn't see it happening so when it didn't, I wasn't surprised.

I was sad to see Rissmiller go even though it was known that he wasn't going to be offered a contract. Best of luck with NYR, Riss.

Goaliepalooza today. Craziness.

Lots of contracts that feel like way too much for way too long. There is a ridiculous amount of money being thrown around. Amazing. If I had known then what I know now, I would have claimed to be a man and gone into hockey. No one would have believed me but, it would have been worth a shot.

No comments: