Saturday, July 5, 2008

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Craig Rivet

I feel dirty using a Boyz II Men song title, but it's true. I usually let the season decide which moves are good and which moves are bad, but in this case I really don't like the fact that the Sharks traded away Rivet. I'm not saying he's better than Boyle or Blake or Lukowich, and I do understand why he had to go, but it doesn't feel right.

Here's a guy who played hard, showed great leadership, and was willing to punch a guy in the face every now and then. Plus, he loved being here. As we have seen, San Jose isn't every man's hockey market, and not all players can adjust. Rivet did, and now he's back in the crazy whirlwind of media madness and it feels a little bit dirty. Almost like he was betrayed.

I understand, hockey is a business, and sometimes guys need to be moved for various reasons. It's how the game works. It's nothing personal.

I don't have to like it though.

No comments: